Right now we have “ski week” at many Bay Area schools, but it is already time to start making plans for the summer.
Parents with younger kids are looking for activities and camps to keep their children busy and intellectually stimulated. Parents of high school students are thinking about ways to supplement their education and advance beyond their peers.
The hard part is fitting everything around the family vacations and numerous other commitments. You need something flexible and Breakout Mentors has the perfect solution. We offer 1-on-1 personalized coding Deep Dives, all online from the comfort of your home or even on your summer trip. Plus we have a new small group format this year which is even more friendly on the wallet.
Mentors, Format, and Scheduling
Breakout Mentors is one of the longest-running kids coding organizations, with over 11 years experience working with kids 1-on-1. We hire top collegiate Computer Science students for part-time roles throughout the school year, then bring on a few of the top mentors full-time for the summer. So your son or daughter will have an impressive instructor with years of expertise behind our personalized curriculum options below.
The Deep Dives are a flexible format that works for your family. The minimum is ten 90 minute sessions, scheduled in advance at least two per week, but with the flexibility to work around weeks you are unavailable. Here are some examples:
- Meet twice a week throughout the summer, skipping weeks on vacation
- Meet three times a week over the course of 4 weeks. This could be before leaving for a trip or at the end of the summer.
- Meet Monday through Friday for back-to-back weeks, an intensive educational experience similar to a coding camp
Then you have the option to keep going with the same mentor, extending the learning and working on more projects. Simply add additional sessions to the end, with no upfront commitment.
The most convenient part: you get to decide your schedule and lock in the days and times. The earlier you sign up, the more options you have.
Personalized Coding Tracks For Kids
We have several tracks for late elementary and middle school coders. Whether your son or daughter has zero exposure to coding or has years of experience, we’ll be able to challenge them at the perfect pace.
- Scratch Drag-and-Drop Coding — 8-11 year-olds just starting their coding journey by creating fun games
- Python Mastering the Fundamentals — Any age with the goal of learning to code effectively and independently through making games and projects
- Python Starting Computer Science — Any age with the goal of bringing more abstract and powerful concepts into the projects
You can also contact us about other languages and platforms of interest.
Challenging Computer Science for Teenagers
It is incredibly difficult to find the perfect class for teenagers learning to code, especially if they have plenty of beginner experience already. That’s why 1-on-1 and small group is an excellent choice, it truly allows us to challenge each student at the right pace for them.
- Java AP Computer Science A Prep — For high schoolers entering AP CS A class in the fall or self-studying for the exam
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence — For high schoolers to learn about data and make exciting real world projects (advanced middle schoolers may apply)
- USACO Competitive Programming — For high schoolers interested in competing in USACO at Bronze, Silver, or Gold levels (advanced middle schoolers may apply)
The teenager tracks can be done individually or in the small group format (see the pricing below).
The 1-on-1 Deep Dives consist of the 15 hour minimum commitment plus optional 90 minute additional sessions. These are:
- $2000 for the first 15 hours ($133/hr)
- $150 for each additional 90 minute session ($100/hr)
There are also several discounts available:
- $250 off the first 15 hours for year-round Breakout Mentors students, including anyone starting in March ($117/hr)
- $500 off when committing to a total of 30+ hours ($100/hr)
- $100 off the first 15 hours for each sibling ($127/hr)
Then we are excited to offer the small group format for the teenager options as well (AP CS A, AI/ML, USACO). The maximum number of students is four. These are also a 15 hour initial commitment.
- $800 for the first 15 hours ($53/hr)
- Additional 90 minute 1-on-1 sessions with the same mentor for $150 each ($100/hr) pending availability
- Priority mentor pairing into our year-round coding packages at the end of the summer
There are also several discounts available:
- $50 off the first 15 hours for year-round Breakout Mentors students, including anyone starting in March ($50/hr)
- Form your own group of friends at a split $2000 fixed rate. With 3 students this is $667 each ($44/hr) and 4 students $500 each ($33/hr). Students are expected to have roughly the same experience level and no makeups will be offered if a student can’t make a session.
- $50 off the first 15 hours for each sibling ($50/hr)
Keep Going Long-Term
The biggest problem with trying to learn from a summer camp? It ends and students quickly forget everything they learned. With Breakout Mentors you have the option to transition to a year-round mentor at a greatly reduced rate.
Continue to build upon the success of the summer, retain the knowledge, and keep learning!
Reserve Your Spot Today
The scheduling is based on a first come first serve basis. So the earlier you sign up, the more weeks and times available. There is a $500 deposit to reserve the time, then the balance is due the week before starting. Please fill out this form with your preferences and we will be in touch soon.
Breakout Mentors is highly personalized, so please contact us with any questions. We like to jump on the phone with all potential students or parents to really understand your specific situation.